Shahd Baeij is a recent immigrant from Syria to the Tucson community. A partnership between the city’s International Rescue Committee and the Tucson JCC led to her teaching cooking classes at the J, where she shares her love for the food of her native land with the community.
1. Wash the rice and soak in water for 15 minutes.
2. Finely chop the tomatoes, Italian parsley, and onions.
3. Mix all ingredients in a big bowl along with some salt, lemon salt, and olive oil.
4. Spread out a single grape leaf on a flat surface. Place a small amount of the mixture in the middle and wrap the leaf.
5. Place rolled leaves in a pot.
6. In small bowl, mix lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, tomato paste and water.
7. Pour into the pot. If more water is needed to fully submerge leaves, add more water.
8. Cover and let cook for three hours on medium heat.
9. Garnish with sliced carrots, pomegranate seeds, boiled potatoes, parsley and serve.
Notes / Tips
Read more about Shahd Baeij and the Tucson JCC here.